The Ultimate Guide To Tumblr For Business
Tumblr marketing can be hard when you don't know exactly what to do, especially if you are in a niche that does not resonate with the platform and it's users.
If you wanted a step-by-step guide on how to properly use Tumblr then please keep reading because, this is right for you.
What Is Tumblr?
Tumblr is a microblogging platform and social networking website founded by David Karp and owned by Yahoo! Inc.
The service allows users to post multimedia and other content to a short-form blog.
Users can follow other users' blogs, as well as make their blogs private.
Much of the website's features are accessed from the "dashboard" interface, where the option to post content and posts of followed blogs appear.
Why Should I Use Tumblr?
Quite simply because Tumblr makes setting up a blog very easy. It also makes it very simple for you to follow other tumbleloggers on the website and to easily curate their content.
Tumblr tries to combine the best parts of blogging and micro-blogging in one.
It handles longer-form and multimedia posts, like regular blogs, while encouraging more interaction tumbleloggers, like micro-blogs.
If you have a website this will help you get high-quality backlinks which are a great thing for SEO.
Seriously who wouldn't want high-quality backlinks right?
Pretty neat right?
Yahoo! announced its intention to acquire Tumblr on May 20, 2013, for approximately $1.1 billion.
The deal closed on June 20, 2013. After that Tumblr started to get more traffic, having an impact on the number of blogs and it showed a rise in the average time a user spends each day on the platform, which is 21 minutes a day.
Ok now let me tell you the good and the bad about this platform, that way you will be able to choose if this social media network is good for you and your business.
This could save you tons of time, possibly wasted on something that will not be of benefit for you and your brand.
- Tumblr's users are very active and tend to follow/re-blog/like very often what they like (we can thank micro-blogging for this).
- Finding content is really easy, all you have to do is go to the search bar and type what you want, once you've found something you like all you have to do is re-blog it (you can always schedule the content you find).
- Making your content go viral is somewhat easy, all you have to do is understand the platform and its user base. Fortunately for you, we'll tell you how to make it go viral here.
- Creating a big following here is easy, I've created a following of over 10K people in as little as 1 month (it's true that it's easy but, it takes time and it really depends on your niche).
- Tumblr is not suited for every niche (although is simply awesome for hobby niches).
- If people on Tumblr don't like something they will make sure everyone knows it (see the point above for more insight), this could be good or bad depending on the situation.
How To Determine If Tumblr Will Work With Your Niche
Great! You've decided to give Tumblr a try. Now, let me explain step-by-step how to determine if Tumblr will work for you and your business.
- First go to Tumblr.com and in the left upper side of the screen, you will see the Tumblr Search bar, type in your targeted niche. For this example, we'll use Gaming as the targeted niche.
- Second is to check if your targeted niche is popular and shareable within Tumblr, look for the "most popular filter" (you have to scroll a little for this, you'll find it on the left side of the screen) and examine at least 15 post shown there, look for posts with at least 500 notes this is to find extremely shareable niches (notes are similar to "likes" in Facebook except in Tumblr a "note" is added every time someone either notes something or re-blogs it).
If you don't find posts with 500+ notes don't worry, as long as you find many posts with a minimum of 100 notes you'll be fine (after all, you are using the filter the most popular and if you can't find something popular it won't be a good target in Tumblr).
- Third and last look at the users with the most followers, they will be shown on the same search that you ran (they appear at the beginning), in this example I found Xbox in the first place click on them and check their posts, look at how many notes their posts have (remember 500+ notes is jackpot and a minimum of 100 for great).
Ok now that you know what makes this platform great and you know that your niche is shareable in Tumblr, let's get into the main core of the article which is how to use Tumblr for business.
How To Use Tumblr For Business
Tumblr for business is somewhat similar to Reddit, you have to engage with people in a particular way and your profile is very important or, in this case, blog.
Let's start by creating your business blog, what to name your blog and how to set it up.
How To Set Up Your Business Blog
Your Blog's URL: Your blog's URL is one of the most important things in Tumblr, your URL must be unique, something that will make people remember every time they see one of your posts.
Here's a list of do's and don'ts for your Tumblr URL:
- You may use your brand's name for your URL.
- If your account's URL is not your brand then you may want to choose something related.
- You may use your name in your URL in case that's what you want to promote as a brand.
- Never use a bunch of random numbers in your URL.
As you can see there aren't many things to have under consideration but using the wrong URL can hurt you (Tumblr's users can be somewhat special).
Don't even think about doing this while doing #Tumblr #marketing
Let's continue setting up your blog.
Choosing The Right Theme
Your template will be your face in Tumblr so you want to choose one that is nice and clean and above all that reflects your brand, there are many free templates for you to choose from and there is no need for you to know HTML although, knowing HTML will allow you to further personalize your blog. Here's a list of the best Tumblr templates and premium themes.
Choosing the right #Tumblr #theme can make a big difference
The Best Premium Tumblr Themes For Business
From the very beginning, photographers have flocked to this theme as a way to display their portfolios and attract viewers to their work.
It is a classy theme that incorporates neutral color schemes and clean lines. This theme was designed for photoblogs making it one of the best in its category.
The theme is fully responsive, it adapts to any screen size and any device easily and flawlessly.
In my opinion, the coolest feature this theme offers is the unique scrolling experience, it looks very nice and clean making awesome transitions between photos.If you are a photographer or your business relates to photography in any way then, in my
If you are a photographer or your business relates to photography in any way then, in my opinion, this theme is the best one you can choose.
The Glide Responsive Tumblr Theme is super responsive and works perfectly on every type of device and on any screen size.
It is a great theme for any type of Tumblr blog but works especially well with photography blogs. It is a great starting block for developers, designers, and bloggers of any skill level.
Its appearance is sleek and clean, and with over 20 web fonts and multiple color schemes this theme can easily be customized to fit your needs.
Some of its other features include social networking buttons, Flickr photostream bar, and Google Analytics.
Affection is a feature-rich, responsive Tumblr theme, which starts out with a width of 1040 pixels for desktop computers and scales down nicely to tablet and smartphone resolutions.
It is based on Foundation 3, one of the most advanced responsive front-end frameworks available.
This theme looks great! I especially liked this theme, the layout looks awesome and its features compliment the theme quite well.
For every theme, you can see a preview in their website (in case you didn't know).
The Best Free Tumblr Themes
This theme is especially good if you want to create a photo portfolio since it works the best with large images, however, it can be used for any type of blog.
This theme has all text color customization and you can put your logo in the header. Nice, clean design, with a lot of space and an interesting background.
Perfect for any niche, simply change the colors to the ones that represent your business the best.
Chunk is a nice clean theme, it will suit everyone who wants something neat. I was a bit amazed by this theme because it doesn't have any theme customization.
So, basically, what you see is what you get. If you know some HTML, this could be a different story but, I think that it deserves to be mentioned because it offers something unique and was well designed.
Adding Content To Your Tumblr Blog
Ok now that you have almost everything you need to get started, let's get you some cool content 🙂
Remember when you determined if your niche was a good fit for Tumblr?
Well, We have to do the same in order to find awesome content that is already performing well on Tumblr and once we find it we'll curate it (content curation in Tumblr is extremely easy to do, all you have to do is click on ‘‘re-blog’’).
Follow these steps for the best results:
Go to Tumbler's search bar and type in related keywords to your niche.
If your niche is dog related, you can type in words like ‘‘beautiful dogs’’, ‘‘cute dogs’’, ‘‘funny dogs’’, etc. you'll get a bunch of top performing content, select the best ones and re-blog them (re-blog at least 20).
Once you are done adding the initial content to your blog, it's time to get a following.
Go back to the posts you re-blogged and click on ‘‘notes’’, you'll see a list of the people that have interacted with that content (notes and reblogs), start by adding the people that appear there, they are very targeted and have already showed interest on the content you will be sharing in the future.
Tumblr has a following cap of 200 in order to avoid spam, so you'll have to add people every day (do this till you follow 5,000 people, that's the maximum amount of people you will be able to follow, it shall take you 25 days, after that you'll grow organically).
As soon as you get a following of 200, start promoting your own content, linking back to your site.
Create cool content just like the following example for the best results (this way you'll get an awesome backlink every time someone notes or reblogs your content):
As you can see, at the end of the post they wrote a short description with a backlink pointing to their site and it has been noted 1,536 times, with means around 1,536 backlinks to their site.
Do you want this kind of results? just follow the same technique they used.
- Create a short, unique and highly interactive story that people would want to share
- In the description place your backlink.
- Rake in the traffic and backlinks.
Doing this is not hard but, it can take some time for you to get to know your audience. Just learn what your fans love and share that kind of content with them, that way you'll easily have your content go viral.
Making money on #Tumblr is a lot easier than you might think.
Thankfully, nowadays we have software for pretty much anything you can possibly imagine and building your Tumblr account, management, and audience building are practically automated, the software's name is Tumbling Jazz, let me tell you a little bit of what it does:
- Automatic Following
- Automatic Liking
- Automatic Reblogging
- Automatic Reblogging Articles
- Automatic Reblogging Images
- Automatic Reblogging Quotes
- Automatic Reblogging Conversations
- Automatic Reblogging Links
- Automatic Posting Articles
And many, many more features you can use to build you account and drive tons of traffic to your site through Tumblr, plus many powerful backlinks.
Do you want to save a ton of time and make everything so much easier?
Just click on the button below, it will take you to the Tumbling Jazz page.
If you have any questions or feedback, please let me know in the comment section below.
I'll answer every question as soon as possible.
Also, are you already using Tumblr as part of your marketing efforts?
I'd love to know what your experience with the platform has been =D
Did you find this article useful?
Please, feel free to share it with your friends. It might be able to help them as well.